Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Back on the road again - Destination Buckskin Mountain State Park

The winds let up a little and we decided it was time to hit the road again.  We've been sitting in one spot too long and it was way past time to move on out.

We said our goodbyes to neighbors Frank & Jan and then Ron K as we stopped to settle up our bill with CCRV.  Gerry left a deposit for next winter, so I guess we are returning to CCRV for the 9th year.

Ron is thinking of spending the summer in the Boise, ID area visiting with friends.  The weather up there should be a lot nicer than Tucson.  Once Gerry came out we said our goodbye to Ron and hit the road. 

We stopped to take on some diesel fuel at the Pilot just east of Tucson.  With our discount RV card we paid $3.829/gallon.  Not great, but cheaper than any other place in the area.  When I pulled up to the RV fuel island a man in a Prius drove right in front of me.  Thankfully, I was stopping to get fuel or I would have t-boned him.  When I exited the motorhome he came over to me with a hard luck story that he was from Mexico and his credit card wouldn't work.  He had Arizona plates on the car, so that destroyed what little credibility he had.  These people hang around Pilot & TTT in Tucson and are looking for a handout all the time.  Seems like it would be easier to just get a job and earn the money.

For the most part we had an easy drive to Buckskin Mtn., but we did have a couple wind gusts that rocked the motorhome. As usual we had a head wind or wind from the side.  One takes its toll with fuel mileage and the other with my nerves.  All in all though it was an uneventful trip of 310 miles.  Considering we left around 12:45 and arrived at 6:30pm, we made pretty good time.

Buckskin Mountain State Park - entrance


We have a site here until Saturday and then will move on toward Las Vegas.  We actually have the same site we've had a couple times before when we stopped here.  Site # 63 is great, but we only have it for one night and then move across the road to site # 60.  I'd prefer to get to Vegas after the weekend so we'll have to find a spot to spend Saturday night.  Maybe boondocking for 2-3 nights is in the cards for us.  

Gerry talked to our friends Linda & Sherwin and they were sitting around this morning and decided to pack their bags and head north a day ahead of schedule.  When you are retired schedules don't always mean that much.  Have a safe trip you guys.

That was our exciting day, how was yours?

3 comments:

  1. Travel safe! I won't tell Barbara that you are heading back out west next year since I think she was hoping to visit you in Florida...I let you tell her when we see you! Have a good time in Vegas.

    YFSILINC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Barbara but it's the best news I've heard in a long time. Just wish you were going to be up in our end of the park. Can't imagine a season without you two. Enjoy yourselves this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the way the wind is blowing today, I'm glad you're not out on the road. I am so jealous that you are moving. Two weeks left for me. There's a great little RV park - $18 a night (I think) at Cal-Nev-Ari on the way to Las Vegas. We always stay there on our way north. It's about 70 mile from Las Vegas so it makes for an easy move into the city.

    ReplyDelete