Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Superbowl Pool, Shooting & The Sheriff

Somehow or the other I got roped into running the Superbowl Pool here at the park.  I asked if there was going to be one and the next thing I know it was my job.  Gerry drew up the squares on a large sheet of paper and I took it around yesterday evening to get it started.  In a couple hours there were 60 slots filled and this morning I took the pool to the coffee and donuts gathering at the clubhouse.  The remaining 40 slots were filled in 10 minutes and there were more people interested in joining.  Wow!  Now all we have to do is wait for the big game on Sunday and see who wins.  I hope my number or Gerry's comes up early and often.  Fat chance!

Gerry went to her usual sewing club group this morning and I had some free time on my hands.  Al & Sharon were going shooting out in the desert and asked me if I wanted to go along.  Sure, why not.  I followed them in our car since they had errands to run and I didn't want to be out there shooting that long.  We arrived at an ADOT pond that was dry and full of cans, bottles, pumpkins,  targets and more junk than you can imagine.  It sure looked like it was in constant use and there was a fortune in spent ammunition all over the place.  Literally thousands of shotgun shells, .22 caliber and larger caliber shells.   There were piles of shells raked up in a number of places.  


While we were shooting, who showed up but the local Deputy Sheriff.  Oooops!  No, there wasn't a problem.  He shoots out there himself and was just checking who was there.  We had a nice long chat with him and he assured us that it was legal and fine to shoot there.  That was a big relief.  The range area was on BLM land and there was another area for shooting nearby.  We could hear them firing some very large caliber guns.


I had my .22 Ruger Single Six pistol and shot around 100 rounds and had a great time.  My accuracy sure has fallen off as I've gotten older.  I never was a great shot, but I could at least come close.  Maybe the sights were off and that was the problem.  I did help speed up the demise of some beer cans and a skeet target.


By this time Gerry was almost finished with sewing so I headed back to the park.  We had a nice relaxing afternoon and I tried to stay awake in my easy chair.  It did creep up on me a couple times and I grabbed a snooze or two.  I hope I can fall asleep this evening.




No comments:

Post a Comment