Monday, January 16, 2012

Slow, Slow day & Maryland Terps

This was a do nothing day outside since it was drizzling rain at times and cloudy and overcast all day.  I wanted to watch the NFL playoff games so there was a good excuse to do nothing.  I almost finished up with doing nothing today and only have a little more to do tomorrow to complete the task.

The football games were interesting but both teams I wanted to win wound up losing.  The Green Bay Packers were big favorites to beat the New York Giants and wound up receiving a sound beating at home.  That was a surprise, but also that is why they play the game.  You have to win it on the playing field, verbal wins don't count.

The Baltimore Ravens played the Houston Texans and wound up winning.  Even though we are from Maryland, we do not root for the Ravens.  Lots of reasons for this, but I won't go into that now.

At least the Univ of Md Terps beat Georgia Tech in basketball.  The Terps have a 12-5 record and have done a lot better than I thought they could.  The have a very young team and just got their 7-1 center eligible to play.  They were small inside and now have some height and a stopper in the middle.  Now it will remain to be seen how they do when they get into the meat of the ACC schedule, but I am optimistic they will do well. 

I managed to spend hours researching on ancestry.com and found a lot of information on my ancestors.  It is amazing what is out there and how they have tied different facts together.  I found more info today looking on the computer than I could find in months if I had to go to the source for the data.  One thing you have to keep in mind it is still necessary to prove the information and not accept everything at face value.

Gerry worked on making birthday, anniversary, etc cards today and came up with a real nice one.  I can't show it since it is possible that the couple it is going to may read the blog.  MAY is the key word.

Our friend Gloria has a new blog page and you can follow it by clicking on Gloria's New Boring Weblog on the right side of the page.  She and Doug spend the winter in Melbourne, FL and are right on the beach.

I spent some time chatting with a couple friends and catching up on what is going on with them.  I remember when phone calls were so expensive that you had to think long and hard before you made a long distance call.  I don't think the younger generation knows what a long distance call is.  It's just another call to them.  We used to call home to Illinois on a person to person call and ask for ourselves to signal our parents that we made it home safely from Illinois to Maryland.  I wish we would have had cellphone access back when our parents were still alive so we could have talked more.

The rain will contribute to some beautiful flowering cactus in a short while, so I thought I'd include a photo of a flowering cactus from a previous year.  I hope they are as pretty this year and I can get some more nice photos.

It is raining slightly now and should be good sleeping weather tonight.  I think I will go and find out if this is the case.  See ya!

1 comment:

  1. Well, Larry, I don't know about Tucson, but Benson sure got the rain overnight! We're a little concerned because Suzy's electric scooter sat out uncovered all night. It's not supposed to get the electronics wet, so we are hoping it will be OK for our medical run to Tucson today! Not that she's driving the scooter to Tucson -- she'll be using it once we get there. Just thought I'd clear that up.

    ReplyDelete