Sunday, December 1, 2013

Today was for the birds

Some days are more interesting and exciting than others, but today was one for the birds.  There is a bird feeder near the motorhome and it is always full of doves and gambel quails plus some other smaller birds.  Lately there have been a couple road runners hanging around the feeder, but they don't seem to be eating the bird seeds.

Road Runner

Road Runner sitting & Gambel quail in bush

Buddies

Gambel quail
 I was working outside cleaning the portable grill and putting it away for the next month until I will be grilling outside again.  Gerry came out and pointed out a road runner that was about 15ft from us and totally unafraid of being so close to us.  Gerry went back into the motorhome to get her camera and the road runner kept getting closer to us.  After getting it's picture taken the bird decided to move on back toward the desert.  We always enjoy seeing road runners and they remind us of Wiley Coyote and the cartoons.

Aren't I pretty?
 We bought a wireless printer on Black Friday for $30 and I decided to install it today.  I wasn't able to get it up and running and will try again on Sunday.  It would be nice to have a wireless printer and place it back in the bedroom out of the way.

Gerry also picked up a Kindle Fire on Friday and we've been playing with it and downloading some books.  This one has a wireless connection and Gerry can pick up her email and surf the web with it, in addition to using it as a reader.  I know many of you have moved past the Kindle Fire and on to more recent and nicer tablets, but the Kindle is all Gerry wants at this time.  It was so cheap that we couldn't pass it up.  Better late than never.

Ron C came over and worked with Gerry on downloading a book and explained some features of the Kindle.  I don't have any experience with it and was hesitant to learn it before my operation.  Maybe I can fool around with it and see what it can do while I'm recouperating.  Thanks Ron.

Maryland Terps 41 -  North Carolina State 21  Bright spot today.

Later on Ron & Dee C, Gerry and I went to Montgomery's for dinner and took advantage of their happy hour prices.  Gerry and Ron seemed to enjoy their meals, but I don't think Dee was that happy with her fish and chips.  We ordered some Wings and also Onion Rings for appetizers and they were fine, except for one wing that didn't seem to be cooked long enough.  

The restaurant has TVs placed all over the place with different football games being shown.  There was a loud cheer from the bar area and everyone was up clapping and cheering like their team won the Super Bowl.  Alabama was attempting a field goal for the win with one second left and the kick fell short and the Auburn player caught it and ran the ball back for a touchdown.  So much for another National Championship for the Tide and goodbye undefeated season.  It will be nice to see another team win it this year even though none of the teams I root for have a fighting chance.  

We stopped by Ron & Dee's place for a drink and some conversation after dinner.  The Missouri-Texas A&M football game was on at that time.  Dee is from Missouri and we all rooted for them to win and they did.  Now they will play Auburn for the SEC championship and most likely the winner of that game will place for the National Championship.  You got to love college football and the passion the players exhibit during the game.

Now it is time for me to take my pre surgery shower which consists of an anti-microbial soap.  Then I have to take another on Sunday night and one Monday morning before the surgery.  I just hope it doesn't dry my skin out so much that I itch all night.  Yuk!

I got a report from Al, my cousin Sharon's husband, updating me on her condition.  She has colon cancer and is refusing any further treatment and basically has given up.  It is especially sad to see someone close going through this when there is no hope.  I do hope she remains pain free and doesn't suffer a long time.  We saw them in April and it was evident she wasn't in that good of shape.  Sad.  Say a prayer for her.

1 comment:

  1. After the last 3 days around here I will be happy to have you next Thanksgiving so you can help with the decorations, cooking and everything else we did! I know how you love them but with the added household things that we did this year it kicked our butts. I watched just a little bit of the Alabama/Auburn game and then fell asleep wore out from all we did but I read about it this morning and wished I could have stayed up. You know what I think about Maryland and their choice to leave the ACC...enough said! We will give you a call later today...I had no clue you had to be so clean to get knee surgery or do they just remember you from last year? LOL

    ReplyDelete