Friday, September 13, 2013

Logging & Road Construction

The other day I had a number of trees cut down so I could widen the lane in front of the cabin to make it easier to get the motorhome out of here.  The new motorhome is a tight fit on the lane, so it was necessary to cut the trees.

The tree cutter cut most of the trees into fireplace lengths and then placed them along the road or in piles.  My neighbor, Bob, came down with his John Deere tractor with a front loader and we moved a number of the pieces of wood onto a pile near my shed.  Hopefully I can split them into smaller pieces to burn in the cabin fireplace.  Jack, our SIL, has a friend with a log splitter and may be able to borrow it this Sunday.  Oh boy, more hard work.

We don't like to be here when it gets cold, but it seems like something always comes up and we leave later than we would like.  A couple years ago we were caught in a 14" snowstorm that took down electric lines and many trees.  By the time the power came on 5-6 days later and the road was cleared it turned very cold.  We burnt all our wood and then some of our neighbor's supply, with their permission of course.  So, that is why we try and get ready for the cold, even if we aren't here.

There we two small trees that block me from turning the motorhome sharply so I can make a three point turn and they were cut down last week.  I left them with about a 4ft stump so Bob could push them over with his tractor.  That turned out to be a bigger and more difficult job than imagined.  One tree had large roots and they held the stump firmly in place.  We lost power due to a storm rolling through earlier and I had to start the generator in the motorhome to get electricity to my new electric power saw.  Once I cut 4 of the roots, it was easier to remove the stump.


I think I can.

Just push them into the woods.

Goodbye 2nd stump
 It was dinner time by the time we finished up this portion of the work and Bob took his tractor and rushed on home at 3mph.  It's a super tractor and I wish I had one to use up here.  It would keep me busy for a couple weeks pulling up shrubbery and small trees.  Plus I could grade the pad where the motorhome sits and a lot of other small tasks.

The power came on just after we finished up, so it was great timing so we could have dinner.  I grilled a steak outside and Gerry prepared the side dishes and we had a very enjoyable dinner on the screened in porch.  Life is good.

3 comments:

  1. Clearing the land like the settlers did many years ago. Except I don't think they had one of those neat little tractor thingies. That is a wonderful machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron says "Why did you buy an electric saw?" He likes your neighbor's John Deere tractor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dee, tell Ron that I have two gas chainsaws and they are for heavy work. The electric saw is lighter and has a 17" saw blade for light weight jobs like tree branches and small trees. I have a lot of Mountain Laurel around the cabin and need to thin it out and away from the cabin. Electric works fine for jobs like this.

    I like the John Deere also. Wish I had one.

    ReplyDelete