Thursday, February 28, 2013

It's A Small World

What are the odds that you would run into a High School classmate after 56 years and over 1500 miles from where you went to high school?  Slim and none come to my mind immediately.  Now I have to add another possibility to the list.

I had a dr. appointment today and while we were in the waiting room a guy next to me started chatting.  He had a household accident and broke his leg and we had the same doctor.  He asked where we were from and when I said Illinois, he asked where.  Gillespie was my answer and he said that was where his wife was from.  I took a look at her (saw her once in last 56 years) and said her name was Judy P.  She had a startled look on her face and asked who I was.   Well, we both graduated from HS in 1957 and she was a cheerleader and I played all the sports.

Needless to say we both had changed over the years, but she has high cheek bones and I could still see it in her face.  I don't know for sure if she remembered me or not, but we had a nice chat.  She left town right after I did and all her family back there have passed on so she doesn't go back to the area that often.  She and her husband have lived in Tucson for the last 13 years and we've spent the last 7 winters out here.  

One of our favorite restaurants out here is the Guadalajara Cafe and it is one of their favorites, also.  They know the owner and most of the staff and said we could find them there most Tuesdays.  He has a long recovery from the broken leg and hasn't been able to go there since mid January.  Who knows, we may have shared a room with them in the past.

The doctor checked my knee and said I was doing just fine.  The mobility is coming back nicely.  I was dreading the visit since the doctor really works the knee over and raises the pain level.  This time it wasn't as bad as in the past, so I guess I am really healing pretty good.

He said I could resume driving as long as I wasn't on a pain pill and that is good news.  Actually, I sort of like to have my own personal driver and may milk this for a few more weeks or so.  Gerry heard him say I could drive and that made her happy to say the least.  I guess that means I won't be able to pull off the delay for too long.  Nice thought, though.

The weather has really taken a turn for the better.  It will actually be normal for the foreseeable future and that means in the 70s and low 80s for highs, with the lows at night around 50.  Now that is the reason we come out here and love it so much.  Now we can get out and enjoy it with Barbara and Henry next week.     

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the knee/leg is coming along so well. Time to get out there and go geocaching again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear...sounds like you are healing nicely. We are ready to go and I have been keeping up with the weather which sounds perfect. See you in about 62 hours.

    YFSILINC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pleasant surprise for sure to see a classmate. We've got a better story, though. We had a short vacation in Thailand, visited Chang Mai. As we were getting on a bus to go to a function, a guy and his wife were getting off that same bus. They and we lived in the same town in California, went to the same church, and shared the same ministry at the Church. Both couples vacationing in Thailand. Then two days later, we all ended up on the same plane back to San Francisco!

    ReplyDelete