Saturday, July 14, 2012

Stump Work

By now I am sure everyone is getting tired of tree trimming and motorhome stuff.  So, tonight you are in for a real treat.  Change of subject is in store for you.

Today was stump removal day at the cabin.  We had some trees cut down a few years ago and they left the stumps showing from 6 to 18 inches above the ground.  Of course these stumps are right in the path of parking the motorhome in the pad.  Three stumps to be exact.  You would think that 3-5 year old stumps would have rotted out by now, but that isn't he case.  We had to dig out around the stumps and then use the chain saw to cut them down level with the ground.  What a job that was.  The center of the oak stumps were as hard as rocks and were a pain to cut through holding the chain saw level.  My how I wished I had some dynamite to speed up the process, but what I had was about 3 gallons of sweat rolling off of me.

Jack helped me with this job and was worn out about as much as I was.  We had to finally use an axe, sledgehammer, maul and muscle power to finish the job.  Once again, I am in awe of the pioneers who cleared acres of trees with primitive tools and planted their crops.  What a task that was for them.

Gerry worked right along side of us and was raking and clearing the area where the motorhome needs to turn around.  She also held the maul while we whacked on it with the hammer.  Brave girl!  Then she went in the cabin and prepared a delicious home made hamburger Stroganoff dinner with noodles.  We had a salad and used some of the romaine lettuce that a neighbor gave us a couple days ago.    

The next job is to cut down a 60 ft tree and cut it into fireplace logs.  The tree is also right in the path of parking the motorhome and has to go.  I just hope that the chain saw isn't too dull to cut after tackling the stumps.

The other day we started a bonfire to burn a lot of branches and the sudden rain storm put an end to that.  The branches had dried out somewhat and we finished burning the junk today.  It took almost 6 hours of burning to finish the task, but that phase is finished.  Sunday will see us back out there burning more branches and cleaning up around the cabin.

I don't know why we do this every year since all the stuff reappears again in the spring time.  Must be a reason, but I haven't found out what it is yet.

That was our day, how was yours?

1 comment:

  1. Not sure if this works or not but I have heard if you drill holes in the top of the stumps they will rot out quicker...which might still mean 5 years! We had a nice relaxing day at Lake Norman. Rain storm came in about 5:30 but I was ready to get out of the sun by then so it was ok with me. Another tough day ahead...sitting on the coach watching Harvick win the race. Don't over do it up there.

    YFSILINC

    ReplyDelete