Sunday, March 11, 2012

Cyclist Invasion

We were invaded by bicyclists yesterday and in force.  In the afternoon while we were enjoying the Margarita party at the pool, 47 bicyclists and their support crew showed up at the park.  Each year Adventure Cyclists starts a riding tour of the area from Tucson to Patagonia, Tombstone, Bisbee, Tombstone, and Benson.  That's 220 miles in 7 days on a bike.  The tours sounds like something that would have been fun to do many years ago in my life, but not now.  One of the tour leaders told me that the age range for this particular group of bikers was from 24-70+ years.  Quite a spread in ages, but everyone can go at their own pace. 

This morning I was up early and drove by where the group is camped in the park.  They were in little two person tents spread out all over the tent camping area.  When I left for coffee there were a few stirring and when I returned, the picnic tables were full of people in spandex uniforms.  I wonder if the uniforms are warm?




It's 7:45 AM and the bikers are starting to leave the park in small groups or individually.   Some zoom on by while others are riding at a more leisurely pace.  One just went by on a bike with 16 inch rims.  I wonder how many speeds he has on that bike to be able to keep up?  I hope they have a safe trip out there on these wild Arizona roads.



They think of everything for the bikers including a couple of port-a-johns.  How would you like to have that job?   I wonder what the wheelbarrow on top of the van is for?





This link will take you to more information about the tour and routes taken.   Arizona Trails bike tour

No comments:

Post a Comment