Saturday, November 12, 2011

Glenwood Acres, Concord NC

Today was a lazy day for us in the morning.  We got up a little late and just took it easy.  I fixed the morning coffee and we sipped at it and relaxed before having breakfast.

Larry Jr., Jane & Grant came over after lunch to visit for a while.  We had brought some money that I had collected from the different countries I've been in over the years.  Some of the money I had given him many years ago and was holding it for him.  It was fun to go through the money and it brought back many fond memories.  Larry Jr. had taken a trip up through Sweden, Norway and Finland when he was about 14 yrs old and he collected coins on that trip.  All in all, there must have been money from 20-25 countries in the bag.

One set of currency was from Guyana in South America.  I was on a trip there in 1979 to help the Small Farm Loan Bank setup a computer system and got the money then.  I was there in the January after the Jonestown cool-aid mass suicide by the followers of Jones.  Of course when the local asked me if I wanted a drink it was always grape or cherry kool-aid.  They always got a chuckle out of that.  Of all the countries I've been in, Guyana was my 2nd worst place to work.  I never went back even though I had a chance a few years later.  Once was enough.

After Jane & Larry Jr. left, we took Grant with us to visit with Barbara & Henry at their house.  Grant is spending the night with us.  We got there in time to see a little bit of Nascar and some college football.  Barb fixed a real nice dinner with a lot of help from grandsons Jared & Grant.  We called it an early evening since everyone was worn out from the week before.

Grant fell asleep about 25 seconds after his head hit the pillow and Gerry is getting bed right now, so it is time to finish this off and hit the hay myself.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment